Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A sense of familiarity


I have not seen him for a long time. Though it has only been a couple of years but it felt like decades.

Nothing much has changed. He still looks the same, except older.

Looking at him, memories of our past popped out like mushrooms. He's brought me a lot of happiness. I remember looking out from the window, waiting eagerly for his arrival. Upon seeing him, no matter how far or near he was, I would scream with happiness and rush to the door to welcome him....

He used to come to our home very often until one day, he stopped coming. Probably he has found other more interesting places to go to. I dunno. I never ask him... All i'm left with now is memories of our past....

That day, i bumped into him on the street while driving. Seeing him surrounded by many people, I kinda felt like rushing to him too...

Seeing people buying ice cream from him reminded me of the old days when he pushed his bicycle to our neighbourhood. His ice cream bicycle is very well equipped ~ a metal cooler which holds all the delicious ice creams, which cheer up kids and adults like me and an umbrella which keeps him out of the hot sun.


Everybody is happy to see him


For some reason, my siblings and i were very sensitive to his 'santa claus' bells. When we heard the bells, we would called out for him from far and wait by the gate for his arrival.

I remember, a cone with a scoop of ice cream was only 10c. My favourite was butter bun with 3 scoops of whatever flavour ice cream in the middle. It always lifted my spirit, and only for 50c!

Hmmm... I wonder if he still remembers me since i was one of his loyal customers back then? I wonder if the ice cream butter bun still tastes heavenly?

Hmm.. I shall try it the next time i see him....


2 comments:

baby jane said...

ICRE-CREAM~~ is the sound ringing in my eyes when i saw him the other day while i was driving too...gosh, i miss the good old days...

jenn said...

wanna eat gu you bao with ice cream!