Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Honest Trick

This morning, a friend described how delicious her beef noodle soup at a new Taiwanese eatery in Perth was. Yummm.. Taiwanese beef noodle soup is nice. A bit like the beef noodle soup in Kch except that the meat are chunkier and tenderer. The soup is also a bit spicy with noodles that look like ramen... ;P'

Talking about Taiwanese beef noodle soup, I was reminded of a funny incident that happened a few
years ago when I was in Taipei. One of the signature dishes in Taiwan is its beef noodle soup (& many many others. Jane can tell you that ;p). It is a must-eat item on your food list.

I remember
ordering a bowl of beef noodle soup at a shop in Taipei city. Was too hungry to even take a good read of the menu and just proceeded to order a bowl of 牛肉汤面 (beef soup noodle). When it came, I flipped thru the noodle with chopsticks, searching for meat. None sighted. It was just plain noodle and dark coloured soup. Feeling cheated, i called the lady boss over and asked her about it. She went 'Ahhh, you should've ordered 牛肉 (beef noodle soup) instead'

^O^ OOOOOOoo... when I thought about the wordings, it does make sense you know. 牛肉汤面 means 牛肉煮出来的高汤加面 (beef soup - meat + noodle) while 牛肉means 牛肉加面再加汤 (meat + noodle + soup)!!! 真高明! I couldn't argue because everything made sense! I was the one who had misread and misunderstood the wordings! hehe... I better work harder on my mandarin ;p *embarrassed* pai say pai say


2 comments:

Jane Jane said...

ooo..hahah..i didnt remember the incident...but it's a good laugh...it's just like 圆的不是扁的 和 扁的不是圆的 to me

Jennifer Kho said...

这回,我‘输’的心服口服 :)